10th Special Forces Group
The 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) and the history of the United States Army Special Forces are intertwined, since the group is the oldest Special Forces Group in the Army.The establishment of the Group on June 19, 1952, was also the establishment of Special Forces. The history of the group begins with the formation of the Office of Strategic Services under the command of Brig. Gen. William O. “Wild Bill” Donovan in 1942. Its missions took the unit behind enemy lines in every theater of operations during World War II. Americans, British, French, Belgians, Dutch, South Africans, New Zealanders and Canadians all filled the ranks of the OSS. In France, small elements called “Jedburgh teams” were employed to assist the allied landings and subsequent breakouts at both Normandy and Provence.The official lineage and colors of the group go back to the 1st Special Service Force, a joint U.S.-Canadian Army force established in 1942, at Fort William Henry Harrison in Helena, Mont., for the conduct of winter commando-type operations in Europe.The 10th SFG(A) is assigned to the U.S. Army’s Special Forces Command in Fort Bragg, N.C., but headquartered at Fort Carson. The approximate 2,000 Soldiers assigned to the 10th SFG(A) train for and conduct combat, unconventional warfare, special reconnaissance and foreign internal defense missions.The 10th SFG(A) consists of the Group Headquarters, the Group Support Battalion and four combat battalions; three are based at Fort Carson and one battalion is forward deployed to Panzer Kaserne in Stuttgart, Germany.